Saturday, January 28, 2012

356/365

This morning we went to Lowe's and did their build and grow workshop.  This week's was much easier!  It was a dinosaur.  The kids had fun and they actually turned out.  Bonus: I didn't feel like an idiot when we left!
The finished product!

We came home and I did more homework.  I am ALMOST done with this weeks work, I just have to turn in a memo and that's it. 

We didn't get to the Arctic Oasis until almost 3!  Yep, it was late.  But at least I got there.  And my workout was pretty decent.

I've been thinking a lot about body image lately. It all started about a month ago with me posting on fb that the kids don't eat. One of my friends, Kris, said that they've changed food so much to appeal to kids (breaded, fried, sweetened) when you eat or see the real stuff, no matter how good it is, it doesn't look as good as the processed stuff. She somehow equated it to plastic surgery. I can't remember how and I can't go back and look because I deleted my fb. But you get the point. It's a great point. And I proved this point to myself this week.  I was at the gym Wednesday and I noticed this girl.  She was tiny, but had HUGE boobs.  I found myself thinking, "Damn, I wish I looked like her."  Then I mentally slapped myself and reminded myself that her look is most likely not the one she was given naturally.  *For the record, I do know that there are people (very few) that are naturally a size2 with DD's.  But from my experience I've realized that a lot more women than you think have had cosmetic surgery.  I would say of the tiny people with big boobs that I know personally ONE is naturally like that.  All the others have been surgically enhanced.  So this girl could have been natural, but it isn't likely.  And that's not really the point, so I'll get back to it*  It got me to thinking, with all these women like her around how's a girl supposed to compete (no I'm not on the market, I'm thinking more along the lines of Kayleigh's generation)?  Next to these women that have had work done even I don't look all that great.  I have worked my ass off and through blood, sweat and tears I have gotten to where I want to be.  But I can't hold a candle to anyone who has had work done.  So where do the au naturel girls fit in?  In all honesty I find myself wondering if any man would want a woman who looks less than perfect, when the majority it perfect.  I think we're all starting to have unrealistic views of what women should look like (myself included).  I can't help but think of these girls grow up and they've been bombarded with images of "perfect" women their whole lives.  And not only from the media but, from the grown women directly involved in their lives (their moms, friends, teachers, role models, etc) have had work done to "make themselves feel better".  It made me sad thinking of all of this.  Yes, I have thought about plastic surgery for my mommy flap.  I still think about it sometimes because I really hate it.  But I always come back to the same conclusion, I'd be lying.  I really don't look like that.  Would getting the work done make other women look at me and want to look like me?  Would I be perpetuating that "perfect woman" myth?  I'm not perfect.  But should I try to attain perfection?  Who does this benefit?  Would I really feel better or would I find something else that isn't good enough?  By staying who I am and not having work done could I help other women not give into the temptation to fit a certain mold?  Could I show people that you don't have to have surgery and can have imperfections and still look good?  But most importantly can I show Kayleigh that it's ok to be who you are and you are beautiful no matter what?  Could I have work done and look her in the eye and say she's perfect just the way she is, but I had to have surgery to "fix" myself?  

I know that was long winded, but I just need to get that all out of my head.  And please do not think I think poorly of anyone who has had surgery.  I don't.  I'm just thinking about society and how things have gotten so warped.  The things we hold important, etc.  I wonder if things will ever revert to the way they were. 

1 comment:

  1. I like where your head is at with this "perfection" stuff. And really, does anyone know the true definition of perfect? I understand we have our flaws. WE ALL DO! I understand that everyone wants to be perfect and not have those imperfections. But like you said, could you really look at your kids, could anyone look at their kids and tell them they are perfect when they have done something to enhance their look to what is supposedly the perfect look? Like you said, it's a lie.

    I'm glad your day at the build & grow workshop went well. It looks like the kids had fun building their dinosaurs. And I'm glad it didn't take a rocket scientist to put it together.

    My day was just another day of sitting around. Literally the only time I got up was to go to breakfast, lunch and leave. The rest of the day was spent with my nose in the PDG. At the same time I was interrupted constantly with people asking questions. So I throughout the entire day, I got half a chapter done. I was little upset about that, but that lets you know how much people didn't know about exercise stuff.

    Well, I'M DONE! I have to try to turn in my GOV license tomorrow, go to housing to do my TLA and have them clear my virtual, test and final out on Friday. That is this weeks schedule. So I will be spending a lot of time studying the PDG more.

    I will let you go for now. I will talk with you when I get up. Don't wait on my for anything. You have school, I have study so if our schedules don't mesh exactly, then we'll talk when we can. Just remember, I'll be home REALLY, REALLY soon. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete