1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
The biggest blessing for us this year was Nate being able to go on the Red Flag TDY. It gave us another month of weekends to see him. We got to spend Fourth of July with him and his mid tour plane ticket was paid for! Seriously the best thing the Air Force has ever done for us!
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Obviously it was Nate leaving and being gone for most of the year. Doing everything by myself
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Kayleigh. She has handled this separation with a strength that is well beyond her years. Yes, she cries and gets emotional. But she has been so helpful and strong throughout this whole process.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Spencer. I expected Kayleigh to have a harder time with this separation. But he has had the hardest time. He has began to talk back, tell me he hates me, kick and hit at me. He has become angry and is no longer the sweet loving little boy he was 12 months ago.
5. Pick three words to describe 2011.
Trying, frustrating and enlightening
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2011 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).
Difficult, long, motivating
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2011 (again, without asking).
Trying, lonely, boring
8. What were the best books you read this year?
Definitely the Outlander Series. They were exactly the escape I needed this year!
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
I would have to say Amber has been such a source of positive thoughts and experience. She has been through this many times and gave me great advise and made me feel better about things in general. She is a wonderful, strong woman and I am really grateful to have her as a friend.
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I really feel like I've become stronger emotionally. I remember the first time Nate went TDY, I cried for THREE days for a month (at the time we were told it could be anywhere from 1-4 months) TDY. This year I have cried, but I've also been strong and found strength in all I've learned to do myself. Knowing that I don't "need" a man (I want Nate, but could live with out him if I had to).
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I'm not a spiritual person. But this year I've learned a lot about myself and explored who I am. Figuring out where I stand on certain topics or trying to understand why I do certain things. This time away from Nate has given me time to reflect. And I've made sure I start becoming more Devi, less mommy and Nate's wife. That has done wonders for me.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
This year I lost 30 pounds and started lifting weights again. It scupted my body. I will never have a 6 pack, but I can see definition in my abs. I went from a 31" waist to 27-28". My thighs are down to 22" from 24". My hips are 37-38" from 41". I'm a size 6 instead of barely fitting into a 12. I am more comfortable in my skin and feel better than I have in years. I started running. I ran my first 5k race and signed up for a half marathon to complete in June 2012. I have physical grown in ways I never imagined. I ran my longest run to date 5.95 miles.
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
In learning about myself, I've also learned a lot about how I am in relationships. I have a hard time getting close to people. I push people away a lot. And I am trying to stop. My marriage has improved 100%. It wasn't bad per se, but we were comfortable. We didn't appreciate each other and I held a lot of animosity because a lot of the time I felt neglected by Nate. We've both worked on that. And Nate says he now sees that he took me for granted. Hopefully this year we will continue to make time for each other and not just simply sit in the same room doing different activities and call that quality time.
15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
The most enjoyable thing is when I can let go of all the crap. Not worry about chores and kids acting up and just have fun. Whether it's playing the wii, going for a hike, sledding or whatever being able to have fun and spend quality time with my family is the most enjoyable thing about my job.
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
The most challenging thing is motivation. Some days it's really hard for me to want to vacuum or do the dishes. Just getting myself to do things that don't seem to matter (without Nate here) is the hardest thing for me.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Pinterest and Facebook have been my biggest time sucks. However, once the kids are in bed all I have is time to waste. So, whatever.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
I've read a lot this year. I've also done a lot with the kids. I feel like those have been productive uses of my time.
19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
The biggest thing I've learned this year is who I am, what I want out of life and am figuring out how to get there. There are many things that I've put on the back burner that I love, in order to be a "good" mommy and wife. But I've learned that I need to make time for the things I enjoy, even if it involves "neglecting" the kids. They can play quietly by themselves for an hour. Going to the Arctic Oasis to get a work out in every single day and not playing with them at that time will not hurt them. It will make me happier and more calm and show them how to do for yourself. Hopefully I can keep this up once life returns to "normal" and continue to do things I like because I like them. And not care if the kids whine about it, they're going to do it too! Exposing them to different things and places is good for them and it is good for me to get out and do things! No more inactive, depressed Devi. I need to get out and do things and see things!
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2011 for you.
” Keep calm and carry on.” Every time I got upset or frustrated I had to remind myself to calm down and keep going, this year wasn't going to pass by me sitting around feeling sorry for myself.
The biggest blessing for us this year was Nate being able to go on the Red Flag TDY. It gave us another month of weekends to see him. We got to spend Fourth of July with him and his mid tour plane ticket was paid for! Seriously the best thing the Air Force has ever done for us!
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Obviously it was Nate leaving and being gone for most of the year. Doing everything by myself
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Kayleigh. She has handled this separation with a strength that is well beyond her years. Yes, she cries and gets emotional. But she has been so helpful and strong throughout this whole process.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Spencer. I expected Kayleigh to have a harder time with this separation. But he has had the hardest time. He has began to talk back, tell me he hates me, kick and hit at me. He has become angry and is no longer the sweet loving little boy he was 12 months ago.
5. Pick three words to describe 2011.
Trying, frustrating and enlightening
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2011 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).
Difficult, long, motivating
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2011 (again, without asking).
Trying, lonely, boring
8. What were the best books you read this year?
Definitely the Outlander Series. They were exactly the escape I needed this year!
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
I would have to say Amber has been such a source of positive thoughts and experience. She has been through this many times and gave me great advise and made me feel better about things in general. She is a wonderful, strong woman and I am really grateful to have her as a friend.
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I really feel like I've become stronger emotionally. I remember the first time Nate went TDY, I cried for THREE days for a month (at the time we were told it could be anywhere from 1-4 months) TDY. This year I have cried, but I've also been strong and found strength in all I've learned to do myself. Knowing that I don't "need" a man (I want Nate, but could live with out him if I had to).
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I'm not a spiritual person. But this year I've learned a lot about myself and explored who I am. Figuring out where I stand on certain topics or trying to understand why I do certain things. This time away from Nate has given me time to reflect. And I've made sure I start becoming more Devi, less mommy and Nate's wife. That has done wonders for me.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
This year I lost 30 pounds and started lifting weights again. It scupted my body. I will never have a 6 pack, but I can see definition in my abs. I went from a 31" waist to 27-28". My thighs are down to 22" from 24". My hips are 37-38" from 41". I'm a size 6 instead of barely fitting into a 12. I am more comfortable in my skin and feel better than I have in years. I started running. I ran my first 5k race and signed up for a half marathon to complete in June 2012. I have physical grown in ways I never imagined. I ran my longest run to date 5.95 miles.
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
In learning about myself, I've also learned a lot about how I am in relationships. I have a hard time getting close to people. I push people away a lot. And I am trying to stop. My marriage has improved 100%. It wasn't bad per se, but we were comfortable. We didn't appreciate each other and I held a lot of animosity because a lot of the time I felt neglected by Nate. We've both worked on that. And Nate says he now sees that he took me for granted. Hopefully this year we will continue to make time for each other and not just simply sit in the same room doing different activities and call that quality time.
15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
The most enjoyable thing is when I can let go of all the crap. Not worry about chores and kids acting up and just have fun. Whether it's playing the wii, going for a hike, sledding or whatever being able to have fun and spend quality time with my family is the most enjoyable thing about my job.
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
The most challenging thing is motivation. Some days it's really hard for me to want to vacuum or do the dishes. Just getting myself to do things that don't seem to matter (without Nate here) is the hardest thing for me.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Pinterest and Facebook have been my biggest time sucks. However, once the kids are in bed all I have is time to waste. So, whatever.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
I've read a lot this year. I've also done a lot with the kids. I feel like those have been productive uses of my time.
19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
The biggest thing I've learned this year is who I am, what I want out of life and am figuring out how to get there. There are many things that I've put on the back burner that I love, in order to be a "good" mommy and wife. But I've learned that I need to make time for the things I enjoy, even if it involves "neglecting" the kids. They can play quietly by themselves for an hour. Going to the Arctic Oasis to get a work out in every single day and not playing with them at that time will not hurt them. It will make me happier and more calm and show them how to do for yourself. Hopefully I can keep this up once life returns to "normal" and continue to do things I like because I like them. And not care if the kids whine about it, they're going to do it too! Exposing them to different things and places is good for them and it is good for me to get out and do things! No more inactive, depressed Devi. I need to get out and do things and see things!
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2011 for you.
” Keep calm and carry on.” Every time I got upset or frustrated I had to remind myself to calm down and keep going, this year wasn't going to pass by me sitting around feeling sorry for myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment