Monday, May 16, 2011

More books read

The first 2 books, I forgot to take a pic of the 3rd 
I have read three books in the past month or so Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager.  They are all part of a series by Diana Gabaldon.  I am addicted to these books.  They are very long, but they are so good that sometimes I can not even put them down.

The premise of them is kind of strange.  A woman, in post war England, goes to Scotland with her husband to reconnect.  They were separated during the war.  He was an intelligence officer and she was a nurse for the Army.  She goes on a walk and comes across a henge (think Stone Henge on a smaller scale).  Neat little thing I learned when we lived in England, these henges are actually quite common.  Not necessarily as magnificent as Stone Henge, but pretty common in certain areas.  Anyway, she walks through two stones that are leaning against each other and is transported back to 18th Century Scotland.    The story goes on.  It's a romance.  But it also has a lot of action. The Scotish Highlands back then were a very dangerous place.  And there was quite a disagreement between the English and Scotish as to who the ruler was.  Basically ends up there was a war, in which many were killed and their livelyhoods taken from them.  Claire (the woman in this story) knows all of this and her and her new husband (Jaime) try to prevent the war to no avail.  I could go on and on.  But how can you put 2,200+ pages into such a short summary?  I highly recommend these books.  They are a great escape and lord knows I need a little escape.

I am now reading the fourth book in the series, Drums of Autumn.  It is as great as the last three and I can not wait to start the fifth!  I will be sad when I finish the seventh book because the eighth and final book is still a work in progress.  From what I have read it takes between three and five years for her to finish a book.  I do not want to wait that long!  I want to read a whole series at once and have an ending and be done with it.  So I guess once I am done with this series I will move on to something that is a finished series.  Maybe I'll reread Twilight.

1 comment:

  1. He I am again! I'm happy to hear that the books you are reading is a mini escape for you. We both you need a daily escape. Anyways, let the house get messy. Eventually it will irritate you and you will clean it up. The only thing I have to offer is helping you on mid-tour. I know it will be a nice break for you. One other thing about mid-tour. When I am there, I want you to go out with your friends. Get pampered at a spa. Get a manicure and if there is someone brave enough to touch your feet, get a pedicure. I want mid-tour to be a nice getaway from all the stress of dealing with our kids for the past few months and a time to recharge the batteries for the last few months I'm away. Don't worry, we will have plenty of time together. We both just need you to lose the stress so that you can make it through till I come home. Anyways, get your plan together for summer and save up some money to spend on a good pamper for yourself. I Love You!

    ReplyDelete