So today the AFRC posted this thing called Play Pass. It's a thing where a bunch of organizations on base get together and give family members of deployed service members free things. Classes, Outdoor Rec rentals and trips. In the fine print it said only for deployed people and that excludes people on remote tours and away for training. Anyway, another person commented on the post that it sucks that there are no programs for those who are on remotes. I agreed. Then the AFRC comments back that they are here for us, blah, blah, blah. But when it comes down to it, no they are not. When I was so out of my mind with stress a few months ago and hadn't met anyone here yet, I went there asking how to get a Give Parents a Break. They told me that was only for deployed people or those in stress. Remote tours don't count. I called BS and so did that other lady. The whole situation makes me MAD. If you are nosy and want to read the whole conversation, click HERE.
We are stuck in this no man's land of "well you don't technically belong to us". It is irritating to me that people whose husbands are gone for 4-6 months (typical Air Force Deployments) get all these great things. Because my husband is not in Iraq, Afghanistan or the Deid we get nothing. Hell, here they "deploy" to Japan (*eyeroll*). So because my husband is not considered deployed, his service away from us means nothing. To me it's like them saying that our separation isn't as hard on us as everyone else. I wonder if civilians even realize that this happens. I bet none of them even know that we have men and women away from their families in South Korea and we have for over half a century! These men and women don't get thanked or any special perks. But they do the damn job anyway. No, they are not getting shot at (like I've had a couple of people inform me of when I tell them he is in Korea for a year *eyeroll again*), but he still is missing out of an entire year of his children's lives.
In my eyes, there is no difference in the Air Force (I am only speaking of the AF here. I know there is a huge difference in the Army and other services) between going to the Middle East and Korea. None. They both live in dorms. They both have internet service in their rooms and can Skype with their families daily if the chose. And really, Airmen aren't in much danger of getting shot at, ANYWHERE! Our mission keeps us far away from the front lines. I am in more danger of getting shot at by some crazy redneck in the woods thinking I'm a bear than MOST deployed Airmen (HUGE SWEEPING GENERALIZATION THERE!).
Ok, there are some differences. When you are downrange your pay is tax free (which means nothing to most lower enlisted anyway since they don't pay taxes on their income because they make so little, but that's another post) and you are limited to three beers a day. In Korea you can get as drunk as you want everyday, but you're income is taxed. That's the only differences I can come up with.
My point is...highly publicised war on terror = $$$ for support systems
still in South Korea after 50 years doing nothing = no publicity = no $$$ = no support
So that concludes today's military rant. I am sure there will be more to come, but for now I am done and over it.
| Kayleigh at Brownies |
| He found a ladybug |
| 9:15, all done playing in the sprinklers! |
When I came in, Lola was howling. She had peed in her kennel! Last time she did that she had a UTI. I hope she doesn't have another one. So I gave her a bath. Then got Spencer a shower. And now I have to go steam clean the carpets where her little pee footprints are! I also still have to wrap Spencer's presents and set up for his party tomorrow! So it's going to be a busy night! Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment