Thursday, June 2, 2011

117/365

Today, we went and watched Amber's husband, Justin, jump out of an airplane.  It was a really cool experience.  We had to drive forever to the WAY back of base to get there.  It was all dirt roads.  It felt sort of like much of my teenage years.  Cruising the dirt roads with the radio turned up.  The only difference is I wasn't drunk today and I have two kids sitting in the back instead of a car full of friends. 

We get there and we park our cars to walk up to the bleachers.  On the way the girls took a little side trip into the woods to pick flowers.  We were almost at the end of the trail when we all start coughing.  Honestly, it felt like basic training when they make you take off your gas mask in the gas chamber.  We made the kids cover their mouths and someone comes down to meet us and tell us that there was a bear just a little way into the woods and they sprayed it with bear spray.  This whole situation makes me double think wanting to get bear spray.  I don't know how I would function after spraying that stuff.  Or how the kids would get away after breathing that stuff in.  Anyway, I am grateful that the girls didn't go off into the woods to pick flowers any further down, they may have come face to face with a bear!

Watching the jump was a really cool expierence!  I have seen them do a cargo drop before, but I have never seen anyone jump out of an airplane.  So I took LOTS of pictures.  Here they are...

While we were waiting the boys actually got along!  They even were able to get within one foot of each other to check out a bug!  I had to take a picture because this is such a rarity.


The planes coming in
Cargo Drop
The big truck and other boxes landing
Spencer loved watching it all!
The first guys deploying
A panorama of the whole first plane of guys
The second pass dropped even more guys
Landing
After we watched the drop we went back to the cars to leave, we saw an eagle.  I didn't get too good of a shot of it but here it is...

And as soon as we got out to the car Spencer magically had to pee.  So I let him go.  He found this burnt log that he HAD to pee on.  So he dropped trou right there and peed.  I turned around and there was a guy in a bus watching us and laughing his ass off.
Spencer doing what he does best, being a boy!
 Lastly, we went back to Amber's for the kids to play.  Miraculously the boys got along pretty well.  And of course the girls did well too.  Amber even fed us dinner, since we stayed late and I had no idea what we were going to eat.  It was delicious!  Thanks Amber!

They boys watching a movie

1 comment:

  1. I need you to put in some good words for me with Justin so he will give me the hook ups so I can jump and earn my parachute. The whole thing looked really cool and I can only imagine how much more awesome it was in person. Again I'm so jealous of you. I am glad to hear you had a wonderful day. All the planets must have been in a perfect line. Anyways, I think it is totally funny seeing a picture of my little man peeing on a log. What a guy! And another interesting thing is he did it under pressure from an audience! He is amazing! Well, my day was the same old usual boring ass day. Moved missiles from point A to point B. Moved wood from here to there. No near death experiences or anything. So yeah, it was completely uneventful. Well, I really hope I have a layover in Anchorage cause that would be totally awesome! Well My Love, I can't wait to talk with you tomorrow. I Love You So Much! Till then, be safe and think of me often!

    ReplyDelete