Tuesday, November 22, 2011

289/365

Today the kids fought like cats and dogs from the time they opened their eyes until the time their heads hit the pillow.  I don't know what the hell has gotten into them.  They are killing me!

 I took this picture at sunset, 4 o'clock.  It was so pretty.  I loved the warmth of the red-orange sky and the coolness of the white snow. And the way the light bounced off the clouds.  I did take some pictures a few minutes before these and it was BEAUTIFUL!  But I didn't have the damn SD card in the camera and the camera doesn't save pictures unless there's an SD card.  OOPS!  Maybe tomorrow's sunset will be just as pretty!

Today my sister in law asked me a question that if anyone else would have asked me, I would have been highly annoyed.  She asked if our life in the military has affected our kids.  Most of the time I would have said, "Well does your life affect your kids?"  Of course all of our  decisions as parents affect our kids.  But I understood where she was coming from when she asked. She didn't mean it in that clueless way civilians talk to you and ask stupid shit like "Don't you miss your husband"  Well no shit I miss him.  Her husband is thinking about going back to Active Duty.  She met him while he was in the Army, but they didn't live together until over a year after they were married. She was in school when they met then he went to Iraq shortly after they married.  So she never lived the Active Duty wife life.  She wanted to know if I thought our lifestyle negatively affected the kids and if I could go back would we do things differently.  I wrote her a SUPER long response.  But it did get me thinking.  I really love our life.  Yes there are some aspects that are undesirable.  But all in all it's a wonderful way to live.  We are surrounded by people who know and understand all the things we are going through.  We get to explore a different part of the world every few years.  I've lived in Europe, the desert and now the arctic.  Who can say that?  If I don't like something or the way things are all I have to do is wait a little bit because nothing is permanent in this life.  I don't like my neighbors, wait a year they'll move.  I don't like the house we live in, wait three years I'll move.  Nate doesn't like his boss, no big deal wait it out until someone leaves or gets a shop change.  I love the time we get together.  Yes, we spend a lot of time apart.  But for the most part he is guaranteed Federal Holidays and we get these neat little things called Family Days.  Extra, paid days off to spend with our family.  He gets a month of vacation to use each year.  Paid.  We get a lot of things to help make up for the missed birthdays and holidays.  The hardest part for me is the kids not growing up around their extended family.  I really don't mind being on my own, but they kids have cousins that they have never met.  And that makes me sad.  I don't really like my family so it's no big loss to me if we don't see them.  I don't see them as a positive influence on my kids.  But while we don't have blood family  close by, we are surrounded by our military family.  When you are so far from home people generally pull together and spend holidays together.  We have barbeques.  And the entire shop is invited.  These are the things I would miss if we didn't live this life.  I would also miss living less than 5 minutes from work.  Hour and a half lunches (good for nooners ;)).  Living in a neighborhood FILLED with kids.  My kids having others around them that are going through the same tough times. 

It does take a certain kind of person to live and thrive in this life.  But it is so rewarding when you can.  You can see more than you ever thought you would in life and really feel like you belong to a community.  You get to meet all different kinds of people.  And make friends in places you never could imagine otherwise.  You make lasting friendships that cross borders and time.  Yes you may never see them again or may not talk very often.  But you know that if you are anywhere near them and needed anything you could call and they would be right there.  I don't know any civilian who can say they have friends all over the world.  People who they can count on if they needed it. 

So while I have my "I hate the AF" days.  I am very appreciative of all it has given me.  I may complain some days, but I love our life.  And I couldn't imagine it any other way!

This afternoon when I went to get Kayleigh from the bus, that bitch of a dog ate the chicken I had thawing on the counter.  I did not expect it!  She has never done that.  I am so frustrated with her!  ***less than three months***less than three months*** At dinner, Spencer oh so graciously offered to let me go out and get Kayleigh, while he stays inside and takes care of Lola.  Or as he said it , "I'll tell her to go!"  Thanks bud.  No offense, but you get distracted in 2.0 seconds I bet the dog would have anything off the counter before you even remembered you were supposed to be watching her.  I guess I have to go back to putting her in her kennel every.single.time I step out the door. Gosh that's a huge pain in the ass.  But it will save my sanity and me from viciously murdering the dog in front of our kids!

2 comments:

  1. That picture is so beautiful. You have a really great eye for a nice picture. I think photography is for you. You should really look into getting serious with it. I think you'd be really good at it. I'm sorry the kids were fighting all day and that the dog needs to be kicked in the ribs... or viciously murdered like you said.

    My day was okay. Nothing bad at work. It was coldish this morning, but the day took a COLD turn. It started raining and the wind picked up pretty good. It was like being at Lakenheath again. It was 37 this morning and when it got cold it dipped to 27 and with the wind chill; the radio said it felt like 10. Pretty crazy huh? Then we had our turkey day at work. That went well I think. Most of the food was cold, but all in all it was okay. Our shop had to help tear down so we didn't get out of there till normal time. Too bad because I was looking forward to talking with you. Since I didn't I came here and put everything I wanted to get you and the kids in carts at the different stores. There is a bit of bad news with that. Not money, but your boots aren't in stock anymore. So that kind of help off set the costs of the other items. I think you would be proud of me though. I might have to come out of my money like $25. No big deal so I don't want you to front me that money. I think I can graciously give $25 of my money to you all. Well, I'm not gonna do much else tonight. Play a game and read my awesome book. I hope you have a better day tomorrow and we'll be able to talk as much as you want tomorrow. That being said, I still want you to hit the gym. We have the rest of the day to talk. I will talk with you then. I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete