Tuesday, November 15, 2011

282/365

Today I did something that will make my husband SUPER happy!  I went and got the tires changed over.  Yes, I was one of those procrastonators this year.  Really I didn't think it would make much of a difference.  I only drove the car once last year with the "all-seasons" on it before we got the Blizzaks.  So I didn't notice a difference.  Well let me tell you.  This winter has been crazy so far.  Most days I feel like I should be on an episode of ice road truckers.  The only road where I have seen acutal black top this week is the Glenn Hwy.  Everything else is packed snow topped with ice.  My car does well in it, but I do slide going around the round about leaving our housing and sometimes making turns, depending on how much gas I give it.  Sometimes I give it a little more gas then I should for fun :o  Anyway, I've been calling around and no one had any appointments until later this week.  Damn.  Then I remembered the place we got the tires at last year.  They were good and reasonably priced.  So I looked them up on the good ole internet. And BAM!  They have a shop in Eagle River, which is much closer than 88th where we went last year.  So I called and they were WIDE open all day.  Then I asked how much it would be and they said it's $1 per inch of the rim per tire.  So $17 a tire or $68.  OK.  So I ask how much they charge for the TPMS.  What do they say, NOTHING!!!  Everywhere else charges $10 per tire to reset the tire pressure monitoring system (TMPS).  The guy on the phone said that it really only takes 10 extra seconds and isn't that big a deal.  Last year when I changed over our tires back to summer tires it was $98 and that was the cheapest I found!  So I was pumped about $68!  I told the guy on the phone that I loved their company.  Anyway we got there and first thing I see is two guys replacing the door!  Aparently someone sidswiped their front door this weekend and broke the glass.  So it was FREEZING in there.  They were really nice though.  They said that if we got too cold we could go out into the bay.  And they gave us free hot chocolate!  They were quick too!  About 20 minutes!  It was amazing.  They definitely have my business for the rest of the time we are here.  And I will tell everyone I can about them.

So, I hear a lot of people say that you don't NEED winter tires here.  And I can agree with that.  It's not a necessity.  You can get by without.  But I will say that I don't think that they have driven with winter tires vs summer tires and compared.  Because as soon as we got on the road I could immediately tell the difference.  My car was much more sure footed.  I didn't slide around the roundabout.  I can feel the difference when I drive.  So if anyone reading this is trying to decided whether or not they want to get winter tires, I fully recommend them.  Yes, they are expensive.  It think ours ran about $700 for all four.  But I feel they are 100% worth it.  And that's coming from me the cheap-o!

On to the rest of the day.  After we got the tires done Spencer and I went to Target.  I was walking by the little girls clothes when I saw the most perfect slippers for Kayleigh.  As soon as I saw them I knew she would fall in L-O-V-E, love with them.  So I picked them up for her for Chritsmas.  And I got the idea to look for some for the boy.  I found some he will LOVE too!  I even found a way to make it so he didn't see them.  I wrapped them in my jacket.  Yes, I was freezing in the store, but he didn't see his present. 

BTW, that picture was taken with the point and shoot.  I can tell a huge difference between pictures I take with that compared to the new camera.  The quality is better and the lighting is better.  I still like the p&s for when we're out and about, like when we were sledding.  I can't exactly go down a hill with the giant camera and I was terrified that I would drop it in the snow running after the kids.  Also the p&s takes video and the dslr doesn't.  So I like them both.  But it really is worth the extra 10 seconds of effort to get out the new camera and put it together to get the better shots.  Even it I have to take 100 with 100 different settings to get what I want.  I am getting quite quick at messing with the settings though.

I also ran all around town looking for Bogs for the boy.  No one had any.  So I had Skinny Raven call me when they get some in.  At the Army Navy store I decided to buy some wool socks for the kids and I found another hat for Spencer and a neck gaiter for him too.  I've decided that scarfs suck for kids.  They don't keep them on right and they are just too bulky.  So I am a fan of neck gaiters.  The kids ones (Alaska Extreme brand) were only $5.  They didn't have any pink for Kayleigh or any cute colors for me (I could get away with a kids XL) but I got one for Spencer and Kayleigh has the Columbia one Nate and I bought her when he was here on midtour.  Anyway, I got home and checked the mail and I had a sale catalog from REI.  Guess what?  Starting Friday kids Bogs are going to be $48 and all wool socks are 25% off.  So guess what's going back to the Army Navy Store after I hit up REI on Friday?  Yep. I am definitely excited.  Hell I may buy three pairs of Bogs, Spencer's size now, his size for next year and Kayleigh's next year size!  That is a fabulous price!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment