This afternoon I had Spencer's conference with his teachers. It went well. They want to get him to move out of his comfort zone a little. He often plays with the same things at the same centers over and over again. They noticed the same things I do about his fine motor skills and are working with him. They also gave me a few ideas of things I can do to help without having him sit and write (which he hates). And they put me at ease about him being behind when he starts school. She said that yes he may not have the writing down, but he will have plenty of time to practice that. He has all the cognitive skills he will need to start. And he is emotionally ready. He's very bright and catches on easily. He listens to direction very well. She never has to worry about him when given an instruction. They noticed his rule followerness. And she also said that he plays well imaginatively for a boy. There is only one other boy in all her classes that demonstrates that skill. Apparently pretend play is a more difficult skill for boys. She also was impressed about how polite he is. She also said how sweet and caring he is. It's funny because she told me how sweet he is right before we left. Then she said sometimes you'll get a kid that you wonder what they will be like when they grow up. He is one of those kids for her. He demonstrates some qualities that a lot of little boys don't (pretend play, gentleness, rule following etc) and it makes her wonder if he will carry those through life and what kind of man that will make him. It's funny because I often think the same thing.
I know a lot of people hate conferences, but I am one of those parents that LOVES conferences. I love getting to know the teacher a little bit. To understand their views on education and what is best for children. And quite honestly, conferences are hugely validating for me. As a person who had our kids young I often notice that people don't think you can be a good parent because of your age or lack of experience. And a lot of people look down on you for getting knocked up. But having an education professional tell me that my children are well adjusted and doing well, meeting all their milestones (and exceeding them too). It makes me feel that no matter how the cards are statistically stacked against us (and let me tell you statistics are NOT on our side) we are doing a dang good job and our children will ultimately end up productive members of society! That's all I, as a parent, can ask for. And my ultimate goal in life.
After conferences it was ballet time. IT being the last week of the month we got to go in and watch the class. I took video, but it's been processing for an hour and still is less than 10% done. I'll try to run it again tomorrow while we're out of the house and see what happens. Anyway here are the pictures. Not much because I was busy videoing and keeping an eye on Spencer at Tang Soo Do, but I got at least one really pretty one!
 |
| Love this one! |
|
 |
| look at that pot belly! lol :) |
You know, that picture made me think back to when she was little. How cute she was and everything. It reminded me of when she was in ballet at Lakenheath and how darn cute she was doing that and at the end of class how she would run out and hug us. It just brought back a lot of memories from then. Well, I'm sorry the video is taking so long to process. I would have loved to watch a video of her doing ballet.
ReplyDeleteSo Spencer is doing really well too? Wow, we have some smart kiddos. We always knew they were smart, but for someone other then you or I telling us they are smart, that makes me feel good as a parent. I know you must feel really overjoyed. You have put a lot of work in to help develop them. And you have done a really great job. Don't forget that.
Well, I'll be talking with you early in the morning before I leave for the tour. I hope you have a good day. I'll let you go for now.
Give the kids a hug and kiss for me and tell them I love them. I LOVE YOU!!!!