Thursday, October 20, 2011

256/365

I felt like crap today.  I went to bed early last night.  I got up this morning and was groggy, even after I got Kayleigh off to school.  Then I came back home and laid on the couch to watch cartoons with the boy and fell back asleep until 11:30!  I feel like maybe somethings coming on. My head was throbbing and I couldn't get warm.  I feel a little bit better, now.  But I had to MAKE myself get up and go to the computer to Skype with Nate and I HAD to go to the sizzle.  The kids had their activities this evening too.

During ballet today I sat and talked with some of the other moms because I didn't think working out was a good idea.  We were talking about report cards.  One mom was mad because her daughter got O's in a few subjects instead of O+'s that she think her daughter deserved.  First off, I didn't even know O+ existed.  Secondly, who the fuck cares?!?  It's not like her daughter getting O's in second grade instead of O+'s is going to ruin her life.  Seriously.  It's second grade.  My feeling on it is, as long as she is trying her best and doing well I don't care if her grade is an O or and S.  Hell even an N is OK with me to a point.  I don't want her to get any N's, but I understand that sometimes things just don't click.  And if you don't understand how to do something and are really trying then so be it.  I'll work with her to improve.  But she just may be average.  Not everyone is meant to be exceptional.  I know everyone thinks their kid is a genius.  But the reality is that someone has to be average and yes someone even has to be below average.

  I don't understand this whole mentality of over scheduling (her daughter is in ballet, dance, cheer and Girl Scouts) and expecting perfection at school.  I see this kind of thing often.  I have a rule ONE activity at a time.  And I broke it for GS because Kayleigh wanted to do it so badly.  So I let her.  Thank goodness GS is only twice a month.  Anyway, when do these kids get to be kids?  When do they get to play outside with their friends?  They only get one 20 minute recess at school.  Then they as shuffled from activity to activity.  Then homework and bed time.  It has to be exhausting for the parents too.  I know everyone is different.  So I guess to each their own.  I do know that that is not for me.  I'm glad my kids have time to play outside with their friends.  I'm glad they don't have to stress over whether they got an O or and O+ (Kayleigh is high strung enough without that worry).  I am glad I don't spend most of my day driving from one place to another for activities.   I'm sure their kids will be more successful and rich and stuff, but I like my kids the way they are.  I guess takes all kinds of people to make the world go round.

One thing I have noticed is that these over scheduled, highly pressured kids are generally (yes a sweeping generalization here) children born to older parents and only children.  I wonder if the parents feel that they don't have much time to have more kids that this one HAS to be perfect.  Or maybe they are older and know something I don't.  I wonder if I'm not too concerned about these things because I have two to screw up.  Or because I had Kayleigh young and out of wedlock.  My mistakes are all fresh in my mind.  And while I was a good kid, I made tons of mistakes.  So I know that no matter what my kids aren't going to be perfect.  I wonder if anyone has done studies on this, I'd really be interested to read them. 
Anyway, I took a picture of Kayleigh's report card so you can take a look at her grades.  She did very well.  I am super proud of her!  She may not be a genius, but she is like her momma and is good at school.  And no matter what she tries and that's all I can ask for.  


1 comment:

  1. Well I hope you realize that you are not that perfectionist mom. You realize you make mistakes and you realize the kids are going to make mistakes. And you are okay with that and you know what else, so am I. I'm so proud of Kayleigh and her grades. She is super smart and we don't push her to be perfect. She just tries hard and works well. She has made me so proud with her grades though. And I noticed that her talking is an O. Does that mean she doesn't talk when she not supposed to? It doesn't really matter. What does matter is that you and I are proud of her.

    My day was spent putting all the MSP crap on the LAN. It's a new rule that MSP crap has to be put in the MASO's tracker. It sucks and adds a lot of work for the people doing MSP's. It took me ALL day and I even stayed late just to finish so I didn't have to worry about it next week. Other than that everything went well. There was a chili cook-off and I had a bowl. It was okay. So that's my day.

    I will talk with you in the morning. Give the kids a hug and kiss for me and tell them I love them. I LOVE YOU SEXY!!!!

    ReplyDelete