Saturday, March 19, 2011

42/365

Lola taking a break from pulling 75lbs of kids
We went out to the Eagle River Nature Center today to check out some trails and go snowshoeing.  It was about a 30 minute drive.  So we drove out there.  I got the snow shoes out, only to find out they groom the trails so it's basically like walking on a snowy sidewalk.  So I take them back and put them in the car.  And we were ready to go.  I think if we go anywhere again I would like to go somewhere more back country.  Not groomed so we can actually snowshoe.  Maybe Kayleigh would have more fun then.
I thought Kayleigh would be ready for it and excited.  She has never had a problem hiking/walking before.  But not five minutes into it the complaining starts;
Her: "I'm tired"
Me:  "So get in the sled."
Her: "Spencer's squishing me."
Me: "So work together to find a way you both aren't squished."
Her: "He's not listening"
Me: "What do you want me to do?  Neither of you listen to ME"
And it went on and on.  "I'm bored"  "This isn't fun like hiking in Arizona." "I'm hot"  Every five seconds it was something else. 
Spencer did a lot better than I thought he was going to.  He walked a little bit. More than I expected.  I truly expected him to be in the sled the entire time.  But he was a trooper.  He walked and we talked.  We found pine cones and tried to figure out which tree they came from.  He found a stick that he brought home.  He also found these...

Probably the only berries the moose haven't gotten to yet.  He was quite impressed with himself.

Kayleigh finally quit complaining when we got here...

That is the Eagle River.  It is frozen right now.   I noticed snow mobile tracks in the snow on both sides of the bank.  So I figured if it could hold a snow mobile it could hold us.  They thought it was pretty cool that they were walking on a frozen river and Lola was happy to drink the melting water on the top.  That was the most peaceful time we were out, mainly because Kayleigh wasn't complaining.
And then we walked around some more.  Saw more scenery.  I took pictures, Kayleigh was bored, Spencer was quiet.



Finally three hours after we started our hike, we were back at the car.  Yes, it took us three hours to hike three miles.  I know that is an average on a mile an hour.  I know I probably burned two calories.  But at least we got out of the house.  I may or may not try to go again.  I don't know if  I can handle the complainer.  But I guess we will see. This makes it almost worth it...

1 comment:

  1. Wow Alaska is such a beautiful place. Every where you look there is something else that is breath taking and/or is peaceful. Lola looked like she was having fun pulling the kids. After looking through all the pictures... I think the one of the river snaking around is the most beautiful and peaceful one. Too bad there wasn't a picture of you cause that would have taken the cake! My super hot wife in a beautiful place. Can't beat that. Give the kids a hug and kiss for me. I Love You!

    ReplyDelete