Sunday, March 6, 2011

29/365

Today, I took the kids to church.  The kids really have missed our church down in Arizona.  So I found a UU church up here and we went today.  It was interesting.  Our congregation in Arizona was mostly older people.  They were REALLY sweet.  And just hippy enough for me and not so hippy that Nate would be driven away.  Well I think Nate may not want to come to this church.  It is very crunchy.  And it wasn't like our old church at all.  Today's sermon was about some lady who, in the 1800's, was considered a great mind.  Which was unusual for then.  It was pretty much a biography of her.  Very strange. 
I would like to be able to find a church up here, since the kids like it so much.  But I really do not like the idea of a traditional Christian Church.  Not that I don't believe in God.  Well, I may not.  I am not really sure.  I believe in being grateful for what we have.  The kids pray at dinner every night.  Not because I want them to talk to God, but I want them to put it out there that they are thankful for all of our blessings. 

Every Christian church I have ever been to has tried to make you feel bad if you don't conform to their set of beliefs.  I just don't understand how a religion that preaches kindness and tolerance and be so intolerant to others.  I know many Christians who are all gung ho for prayer in our schools.  Which is fine with me as long as they do not MAKE my children pray to THEIR God.  But if I ask them what they would think if a Muslim wanted prayer in schools, they go off about how it is wrong.  I do not want my children to grow up with the idea that only their beliefs matter and are "right".  That is what I love about the UU church.  They talk about every religion, allowing you and your children to make their own decision.  Around Chanukah, they have a more Jewish centered service.  We has  Kwanza service.  And a traditional Christmas service.  When Nate told him mom that we were going to church, she asked which one.  And he told her. I could hear her thinking that his crazy left winged hippy wife got to him again.  I know she likes me and is happy that Nate is happy, but I also know that she wishes he married a down home, God fearing, conservative, Christian.  But I am what I am.

Kayleigh modeling her snowshoes
On the way home from church we passed the REI Store.  I LOVE REI!  I love all outdoor stores.  Something told me that I needed to go in there.  So the kids and I went.  As soon as I walked in the door, there was a huge basket of Clearance snowshoes.  I was so excited.  They had men's, women's and kids. I did something I NEVER do.  I impulse shopped and I bought a pair for each of us.  I spent $120 on all three pair.  Not too shabby when you consider that I haven't found a pair for myself cheaper than $95.  I spent a little more on Kayleigh's than I would have liked, but she was getting to the top end of the weight range of the little kids ones.  So I bought her a pair that ranges from 40 lbs to 90 lbs.  So they should last us through our tour here.  

After my little shopping spree we found a great little cafe in the same shopping center.  I really love Anchorage.  The people are so diverse.  I thought when we moved up here it would be full of a bunch of red necks, like Sara Palin.  And there are those people here.  I find that on base there are the same people here that are at every base.  I swear that even though this is our 3rd base and I haven't ran in to too many of the same people, they are all the same people I have known, just different faces.  But Anchorage is a very eclectic group of people. I feel at home here, at least more so than I did in Arizona.  People here are more down to Earth.  There is a lot of hippies, like me.  They cloth diaper and baby wear.  The lifestyle here is much more my speed.

Spencer modeling his snowshoes
Anyway, when we got home I had a choice to make.  Either spend the afternoon at the Commissary getting groceries so that we can have dinner.  Or test out our new snowshoes.  I looked in the fridge and saw we had enough leftovers so we wouldn't starve tonight and we went out and tested our snowshoes.  All I can say is I LOVE SNOWSHOEING!  Nate used to tell everyone that I was the crazy walking lady at Lakenheath.  I love to walk places.  I love hiking.  It's just one of those things I like to do.  The roads here are really slippery and it's not easy to walk.  But with snowshoes, I can walk wherever I want.  It's like hiking in the winter.  We didn't go on any great expedition.  We just walked around in the trees here in housing.  We walked behind our house and found a spot where Bullwinkle beds down.  And we found some of his poo.  The kids and Lola were very interested in it, but please excuse me for not taking a picture.  I didn't figure anyone would like to look at moose poo. 

Lola was really excited she wanted to run.  I was a little worried to let her go because I didn't want her to run off or for someone to call the cops on us.  I could just see some nosy neighbor tattling on me.  But I did let her run up to Kayleigh and call her back a few times.  She was loving the snow.  She has come a long way.  When we first got here she hated the snow.  Today she was rolling around in it and running around like crazy.   Here is a picture of her running toward me.  She did this a lot!  Needless to say she is tired tonight.


Kayleigh really seemed to be in here element.  She walked ahead of the rest of us for most of the time.  We've always called her our little walker.  When I was pregnant with Spencer we would walk about four miles a day and she did not stay in the stroller much.  After our walks we would walk around the track and she would run about a mile.  So it makes sense that she would love snowshoeing.  She found a stick on the ground and used it the entire walk.  She looked so natural.  Spencer had a little harder time. He has never been a walker.  He was very uneasy and made me hold his hand.  But by the time we turned around to come back he was walking ahead of me on his own.  They really seemed to like it.

My little explorers


Kayleigh so far ahead with her walking stick
Spencer climbing over a fallen tree
Snowshoeing today really made me happy.  I've been a little depressed lately.  Sad without Nate, but today reminded me why we moved here.  The weather was perfect.  It was 28* and beautifully sunny.  We all only wore our base layer under our snow clothes.  I didn't even have to wear gloves.  Even though we were only on base I was so happy to get out there and walk with the kids.  We didn't have a mission.  I didn't have to sit and watch them play.  We just walked together.   Exploring.  Finding pine cones and sticks.  Poop and moose beds.  This is the kind of life I have always pictured, only one thing is missing.

1 comment:

  1. It makes me very happy to know that you had a great and happy day. It made me feel good to know that even though I am gone; that you and the kids could have a happy peaceful day. I really miss you all and I wish I could have been there to share the moment. But I will be there soon and we can share all the happy times together. I Love You! Give the kids a big HUG and KISS for me.

    ReplyDelete