Friday, April 29, 2011

***updated with words*** 83/365

The weather this morning was so nice.  It was about 50* and sunny, no wind.  I never thought I would say this but it actually felt warm.  It was so warm in fact that the mail man wore shorts.  So we ate lunch outside.  When we were eating, Spencer found a worm.  

He was so excited.  He begged me to pick it up for him.


Then he wanted to hold it.  Look at the pure joy on his face!  Such a boy!

Then he decided that it needed to go back and live in the grass.
 
Later, Stacey took the kids to her house so I could have some time to myself.  I had no idea what to do.  So I went to the gym.  I didn't go looking for a good workout, I just went so I could thoroughly check it out.  See what kind of cardio machines they have, the weights and check out the rest of the facility.  It is VERY nice.  So I tried out every machine they had for a couple of minutes, did a few laps around the indoor track and then went and sat in the sauna.
I love sauna's.  I used to sit in the sauna after every workout at Lakenheath.  While I was sitting there today I was thinking that this is what it feels like in Phoenix all the time in the summer.  In fact, the sauna was what made me think that I would like to live in Phoenix.  Well, I really dislike Phoenix, but I still love the sauna!
After my workout, I had no idea what to do.  So I drove around looking for something that looked interesting.  Yes, gas is over $4 a gallon and I aimlessly drove around.  I was driving downtown and got stuck in the wrong lane of traffic and ended up at the end of the road.  Right along the coast.  Right there was a parking spot.  The only one I had seen the entire time I was downtown.  I took it as a sign that I should stop there.  So I did.  
Guess what, I stumbled upon the Tony Knowles Coastal trail.  The trail runs from downtown all the way to the south part of Anchorage along the coast.  It's about nine miles start to finish.  I of course didn't walk the entire thing.  
This is what I first saw.  
                                           
Those are mud flats.  They seem to go out pretty far.  I thought it was pretty cool though, they way the water flows through there.  It would be a good lesson in errosion for a child, to be able to see that and it happens pretty quickly. 
At the top right of the picture you can see the cliffs at Earthquake Park.  That is where I took the picture of downtown Anchorage from.  I only had my phone with me so the pictures has very little detail.  next time I go out there I will be sure to bring the regular camera.  
This was the only thing that wasn't brown or a shade of grey that I saw.

Hopefully that is a sign that spring is on it's way.  I really do like it here, but I have to say I am very jealous of everyone's pictures I see where they are standing in green grass, with green trees and flowers blooming.  Spring was my favorite time of year in England, I loved when the trees bloomed.  

However, I do not expect everything to be green quite yet.  Afterall there are places where there still is snow on the ground...


So instead of wishing there to be color around me, I use myself to add some much needed color to the landscape.
While I was there, I decided that I want to do the entire trail as a date with Nate.  I don't care whether we walk or bike.  I will let him decide that.  Although biking will be a bit quicker.  I figure we can take a picnic lunch and enjoy the scenery.  Stop when we want and take pictures every 20 feet without little people declaring their boredom every 2 minutes.
When my phone battery started to die I decided to turn back.  It was a good thing too because it started to rain.  I kept thinking to myself, #1 I'm glad I wore a jacket and #2 good thing I'm from Oregon and a little rain doesn't scare me!

1 comment:

  1. Spencer looks so excited and happy to be holding that worm! Love that picture of him!

    ReplyDelete