Sunday, April 17, 2011

71/365

Today I braved hiking again!  Both kids were in a great mood.  So I decided this was the time to do it, if it is an epic failure we will never do it again.  So I decided to try it.  It was AWESOME! 

First it strated out not so great.  I got lost.  It is all the GPS's fault.  It took me to the middle of nowhere. Thank goodness for smart phones!  I just looked it up and found out where it was.  I was only about 3 miles south of the trail head, so it wasn't so bad.  But it could have been bad.  Imagine if I did have service.  I really need to buy a milepost and keep it in the car for emergencies.  Just like this.  I imagine a couple year old used version would work. 

So we finally get there and I will tell you it was a little daunting.  Here is what we first see...
The trail was covered in ice.  It was pretty slushy in the sunny parts and the solid in the ice in the shade.

A little way further up the snow was gone.  Then Kayleigh screamed, "A BUTTERFLY JUST LANDED ON ME!"  I happened to see where it landed so we walked over to it to check it out.  I think it is a moth, not a butterfly.  But who care's they were so excited.

Spencer did so well.  In the non-icy parts he walked up ahead a little.  I was so proud of him!




They stopped and checked out where the melting snow made a little creek across the path.





About half way up there is a overlook into the gorge, it was a long way down.  Of course we yelled so we could hear our echo.  Spencer was the loudest, he loved that part.
It doesn't look so far down, but it was!


There was some beautiful scenery!

Almost at the end, they were still going strong!
Finally we got there!
It was a little frozen still.  But I imagine in a few weeks it will be all melty.  We definitely have to go back when Nate comes home.

The kids enjoyed the view.

Then a very nice stranger took our picture.

Then we started on the way back.  The kids held hands all the way down this little boardwalk.  It was so cute.


Aren't they adorable?

All in all it was a great day!  I've said it a million times, but I really love it here!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Babe! It really looked like you guys had a lot of fun today. You seemed to enjoy your outing which I'm sure is very nice for you. I'm sure the outdoor experience was a very tranquil time for you. The kids looked like they were enjoying there time in the great outdoors as well. The scenery was absolutely breath taking. Well, I finally managed to get to the BX and buy that headset I said I would. Unfortunately I did not make it off base today because I got out of work so late. Like I said I would try to make it some time this week. My day was pretty boring. I did one work order that took me up to lunch and then sat at a computer doing TBA the rest of the day. I have an EPR, Dec, and several initial feedback's to do this week. So wish me luck in getting them all completed. Well, that is about all I have. I Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of you with the kids Devi!

    ReplyDelete