Saturday, February 19, 2011

14/365

8 am this morning, before the sun was actually up
I have been REALLY sick this week.  I feel like hell.  I have been using it as an excuse for not being "mother of the year".  That's right folks, I'm out of the running.  My daughter launched herself off the "survive or die" sledding hill in the middle of our cul-de-sac today.  No, I was not out there to let her know that sledding off the GIANT pile of snow that the snowplow made was a bad idea.  I was inside.  I was Skyping with my husband and feeling like crap while my son took a nap.  My kids had pizza three days in a row the week before last.  Why?  Because it was easy, Nate just left and I didn't have my shit together.  Yes, I have been making a lot of excuses. 
Earlier this week, my fabulous sister in law posted on her facebook that she pretty much sucked at all the many jobs she has, wife, mother, worker.  It made me sad.  You see, she is the woman I most look up to in the world.  Nate will tell you she is my girl crush ;).  She has a fabulous job, makes great money, has a beautiful family.  She is one of those people whose life looks absolutely perfect. Realistically, I know their life isn't perfect.  But it darn sure looks like it from here.
9:30, when the sun finally peeks over the mountains
Her post made me realize, no matter what you can't be everything, do everything and have everything.  You are always going to feel like you are lacking in some department.  It is the fault of the modern woman.  We want it all.  And a vast majority of us want to be perfect at all of it.  I blame TV, the media, the feminist movement and all of us who try to live up to that expectation. 
It makes me sad that she can be such an inspiration to me.  She is so supportive and constantly is telling me that I am great.  Yet she can't see that in herself.  Her life has been turned upside down more times than I can count in the eight years I have known her.  Yet she is still a strong, independent brilliant woman whose kids are healthy and marriage is still going strong.  That is an amazing feat itself.  And I am so proud to call her my sister.  So when I say this I raise my cup of Theraflu (yeah I wish it were wine, but this is my life at the moment) to her...
This evening
Yeah, I added too much water to the sauce I made tonight.  Which made the Orange Chicken less than perfect, but it still nourished my children.  I let Kayleigh play outside alone and fly off a 20 foot mountain of snow, but guess what she's not hurt.  I have been using the TV to babysit my kids so I can take a dang nap, but when they are older they will hopefully look back fondly at cuddling on the couch watching movies with me.  I don't weigh 135lbs like I did when Nate and I met, but I can still be a good wife with a few extra pounds on my ass.  I could go on and on, but I guess my point is we don't have to be perfect.  We just have to realize that we are doing the best we can for our kids, husbands, jobs and friends and that is just going to have to be good enough. 



PS--yes, I know the pictures have nothing to do with what I wrote, but they are what I took today and I think they are damn beautiful. :)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU DEVI!! And...I was out of the running for mother of the year when my daughter decided to bust out some lil wayne (that she heard in my car) at pre-school. (li li lick me like a lollipop). Oh, and after she exclaimed, "What the HELL???" when the light in Cita's little ceramic church wouldn't come on (with no less than 15 Meneses family members standing around). OOPS. Have I mentioned I am real with my kids??! Kel

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite post from you so far. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete