Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Halloween Costume

This year Spencer is going to be Woody from Toy Story for Halloween.  Have you seen the crap costumes they sell in the store?  They are horrible.  A bodysuit made of polyester.  They don't look comfortable and fit horribly.  Above all they are $25-$30 a piece.  That means if I bought both kids a costume it would cost $50+ .  So I got it in my head that I could probably make a Woody costume myself.  All you really need is a pair of jeans, a yellow long sleeve T-shirt, a cow print vest, a cowboy hat and a few other small accessories.  

Jeans, we already had.  One day at Wal-Mart stumbled across a bright yellow long sleeve T-shirt.  I was suprised because who needs long sleeves in September in Phoenix?  The shirt cost $4.  JoAnn's had some cute cow print fabric for $8/yard.  I bought a whole yard. Total so far $12.   I know I didn't need a whole yard to make a tiny vest, but I am glad I got it.

**DISCLAIMER**  I am NO seamstress.  I know how to sew a straight line.  I HATE using patterns because they confuse me.  So much like all the crafty things I do, I usually reverse engineer something I already have.

So, I got out a shirt and winged it.   And boy was it an epic fail.  I wish I would have taken a picture of the fail, but I was so frustrated that forever posting a picture of it on the internet would have sent me over the edge.  I decided to do what I do best and proceeded to sew and cut until it looked right, but was completely unwearable.  Then I cut it up and made my own pattern.  And whadda know it worked.  Here is the vest with the yellow  t-shirt...

To complete the costume, I need to buy some red puff paint (to make the plaid pattern on the shirt) and a cowboy hat.  I imagine that won't cost any more than $10.  So there you have it #10 on my list completed and a Halloween costume for around $20!

While I had the sewing machine out I remembered that I had some fleece leftover from making diaper soakers for Spencer a few years ago.  I thought I had enough to make a pair of pants.  So out came a pair of Spencer's pants for my "pattern" and I cut and sewed.  Viola!  A pair of fleece pants.  They are a little high waisted, but I figure that since they are only going to be a base layer while playing in the snow they will be fine.  I see many more pairs of these in our future since JoAnn's has fleece on sale for $2/yard.  It will give me a chance to perfect my technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment