One of my goals for this project was to read 20 books. I love to read, but between cleaning toilets and helping with homework, I don't get much of a chance to read. The first book I counted toward was "Dead to the World", book four in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I love me some vampire smut, and it delivered. I am currently reading book five, "Dead as a Doornail", but that is not what this is about.
I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but for my second book I read "These Happy Golden Years". Kayleigh and I have been making our way through all the Little House on the Prairie books. I wasn't going to count the books that I read to her because that was not the point of this goal. I wanted it to be about me and books I enjoy. But on the second or third night of me reading this one to her, I didn't want to stop reading. So after I kissed her goodnight, I snagged the book and went out onto the couch and read the rest of the book. Yes, I finished it that night. It is a book written to a fifth grade reading level, so it shouldn't be that shocking that I could finish it in a couple of hours.
The book is a romance, but wholesome, not raunchy (see above Sookie Stackhouse Series). It's something I don't mind reading to my boy crazy six year old. Heck, they don't even kiss until years after their first "date". I loved the horse rides and imagining Almanzo building a house for Laura. I relate to them. They are simple, no frills, practical people. It made me happy to read it.
I have always been fascinated with the "olden days", this book (heck the whole series) paints a great picture of what living over 100 years ago was like. I sometimes secretly wish I could go back 100 years and live. I want to grow and raise our own food, not have a phone, computer or internet. Life would be so much less complicated. Harder, more work to do, but yet it wouldn't be filled with all of this stuff that overwhelms me at times. However, I think I would have to take my washing machine with me.

Like Like Like!!! Love those! I also wish I could live long ago---i'd even settle for the 50's...:-) You're doing great!
ReplyDelete