Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Half Marathon Update

So, I have one month until the half marathon I signed up for.  The longest I've run is 6.3 miles.  A little less than half of what I will need to run.  It's summer break and the kids are out.  Nate is working nights.  And my final (an most difficult to overcome) obstacle, my knee.  About a month ago, yes two weeks into my training, my right knee started hurting.  I ice it and the pain goes away, but as I have increased my mileage the pain has lasted longer and longer.  It can take me up to three days for my knee to feel better after a run over four miles.  I feel like four miles in my breaking point, where the pain really increases. 

Nate and I talked about it and decided that I am not going to run the half marathon next month.  I am just going to downgrade to the five  miler, so I don't waste the money I spent to run the race.  It sucks.  And I feel like I am a quitter (which I suppose I am).  But after talking to Nate, I would rather be able to go on hikes with him and the kids this summer.  I would rather be able to play with the kids outside and ride bikes and be active in general, instead of running a long distance one day and sitting on the couch icing the next day.  This is better for me and my family.  I am not giving up running, I am just going to stick with running under five miles.  In the past year, I've gotten into the best shape I've ever been in, in my life.  I do not intend to undo that.  I am going to put this half marathon goal on the back burner for now, maybe try again.  But for now  I am going to focus on being healthy and active and not worry about how many miles I logged this week.  I truly think that's what I need to do.  Stressing about if I've put in enough miles, is not fun.  And truly it makes me not want to run.  So for now, I'm just going to run a few miles while the kids bike with me.  And continue to lift weights. 

1 comment: